Monday, November 14, 2011

interview #2

Interview #2
11/10/2011
English 191
Interviewer: Jialun Shen
Interviewee: Hyun Wook
Preparation of Interview

During the first interview, I made a big mistake. I didn’t take recording equipment to the interview and even just note the key words of what the interviewee said. So when I was writing the transcript, I only can use those key words and transfer them into my own words. It caused my transcript too short and confusing. So, for my second interview, I really prepared a lot. I have designed a few extra questions in order to make the interview richer and let all of the questions be more logical. Then I decided to interview Hyun Wook. He is my classmate and we know each other in a group meeting. So I asked him if he could take some time for an interview with me over the phone. And he said he is glad to help me. We set up the time this Wednesday afternoon in Stewart Hall for the interview, because we take the same class in SH and both of us have time. Before the Wednesday, I print out all of the questions on two papers and put my recording pen into my bag in case. As the last interview, I also prepared an electronic dictionary for some words which I didn't know. On Wednesday, when the class is over, we found a quiet place together on the second floor and started the interview. During the interview, I also made some notes in order to remind me of some details.




Personal Review

This is my second interview. In this time, I also had a good time with my interviewee. We talked a lot, not only about the interview, but also talking about our dreams and interests. I think Korean people are easygoing and interesting. And everything went well, I am not nervous like the first time any more. In order to avoid talking about some sensitive issues, I have learned some Korean history and also have watched current events in Korea on the internet. During the interview, I can easily make sense what he said. He is surprised I know many things about Korea and use Korean to say hello to him. So I think, before you make an interview with someone else, it is important to know something about their country. It can make both of them closed and gain more information. In addition, it is a good way to make the process of interview more comfortable and interesting.  To my surprise, he knows a lot of details about Korean, especially the food. He strongly recommended me to taste Bulgogi. It is kind of barbecue. However, some questions I asked him, he answered a lit bit confusing and short, especially in religion. I did not ask him to explain them, because I was afraid something what I said would offend him. Fortunately, the extra questions really helped me to get over this difficulty. Above all, the interview really improved my communication skill a lot and let me be more confident. And I believe I can do it better during the third interview.





Country Report


Hyun Wook is from busan, the second largest city in South Korea. He talked a lot about his hometown during the interview, and something really shocks me. It made me have a deeper understanding to Korea. Since I have already introduced Korean geography, culture and climate, I will talk about economy and government in the second country report.
With the economy blooming, Korea developed very fast. It has achieved a observably high level. “Today, South Korea is the United States' seventh-largest trading partner and is the 15th-largest economy in the world.” (2) “In recent years, Korea's economy moved away from the centrally planned, government-directed investment model toward a more market-oriented one. South Korea bounced back from the 1997-98 Asian financial crises with assistance from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).” (2) In addition, nowadays Korea is playing an more and more important role in international stage. “South Korea joined the United Nations in August 1991 along with North Korea and is active in most UN specialized agencies and many international forums. South Korea has hosted major international events such as the 1988 Summer Olympics, the 2002 World Cup Soccer Tournament (co-hosted with Japan), and the 2002 Second Ministerial Conference of the Community of Democracies. In 2010, the country hosted the R.O.K.-Japan-China Trilateral Summit as well as the G-20 Seoul Summit. It will host the 2018 Winter Olympics.”(2)
Korean policy system is almost impeccable. “The executive branch under the president as the head of state consists of the prime minister, the State Council, seventeen executive ministries, seventeen independent agencies, the Board of Inspection and Audit, and the National Intelligence Service. The president is elected by popular vote for a single five-year term.”(3) However, there are several social problems either. According to the National Statistical Office, the number of reported major penal code offenses was 864 per 100,000 in 1997, and the most common crime was theft. Since the 1980s, sexual violence against women has drawn public concern, and legislation to deal with it was enacted in the 1990s. “Public prosecutors and the police are authorized to conduct investigations of criminal acts, but theoretically, police authority to investigate criminal acts is subject to the direction and. review of prosecutors. The National Police Agency is under the authority of the Ministry of Government Administration and Home Affairs, while the Supreme Public Prosecutor's Office, the penal administration, and other legal affairs are supervised by the Ministry of Justice. The supreme prosecutor general is appointed by the president. Historically, the executive branch exercised great influence on judicial decisions. There is no jury system. Cases that involve offenses punishable by the death penalty, life imprisonment, or imprisonment for more than one year are tried by three judges of a district or branch court; other cases are heard by a single judge.”(3)



(3)     http://www.everyculture.com/Ja-Ma/South-Korea.html






Interviewee: Hyun Wook
J-Jialun Shen               W-Hyun Wook


J: hi Wook. Let’s start the interview.  
W: Alright.
J: so firstly, can you spell your name to me?
W: sure, Hyun Wook.
J: Thank you. And where are you from?
W: From Busan.
J: oh, I have heard about it. It is a really big city, right?
W: Yup. Actually, Busan is the second largest city in Korea, a really fascinating place to me.
J: Awesome. Can you tell me something about the education system in Korea?
W: hmm. It is compulsory to accept primary education. Children in six are admitted to a school where is in their residential are. Then they will advance to the next grade each year. After 6 years’ primary education, children will study in middle school for 3 years. By the way, middle school education is not free, but I think the enrollment rate is high. It is like here, the school year is divided into 2 semesters. The first begins in the beginning of March and ends in July. The other one is usually from late August to February.
J: it is really the same as Chinese, and how about the college level.
W: I am not sure. Maybe it is same as American college. I just know we need to take a college entrance examination to enter.
J: Alright. So does Korean learn English since very young? Because, in my impression, you guys spoken English is really better than us.
W: hmm. Not really. Many of us are shy when speaking to the foreigners. However, in Korea, the government really attached importance to English education. English is taught as a required subject from the third year of elementary school up to high school, including most colleges.
J: Ok. So then let’s talk about the religion. Do you mind it?
W: That’s fine.
J: So, how many religions do you have in Korea?
W: As I know, a few people follow Christianity and Buddhism. In my hometown, most of us practice no religion. And the freedom of religion is protected under our constitution.
J: Do you think if people don't have faith, they will be kind of mean and at a loss with the life.
W: I don’t think so. Although few people have faith in Korea, the society remains highly imbued with Confucian values and beliefs. It can let us fight for future.
J: I agree with you. So next question, what is the form of government in your country?
W: I think it a republic with powers nominally shared among the presidency, the legislature, and the judiciary, but traditionally dominated by the president.
J: So do you know who seize power in a military?
W: I am not sure. It should be the president.
J: Got it. So are you satisfied with the form of your government now?
W: absolutely!
J: And can you tell me on thing that makes you proud of your country?
W: Definitely the Taekwondo. It is a martial art and originated in our country. Let me see… In 2000, it became an official Olympic sport. It combines sport exercises, combat techniques, and self-defense and even in some cases kind of meditation. It is known for its emphasis on kicking techniques, which distinguishes it from martial arts such as your Chinese kung fu. We think the leg is the longest and strongest weapon a martial artist has. I have already practiced it over 1 year.
J: That’s cool. Taekwondo is also very popular in China. People practice it for self-defense.
W: Awesome.
J: By the way, as I know, the belts in different colors represent corresponding ranks, is it right?
W: Yup. Taekwondo ranks are typically separated into junior and senior sections. The junior ranks are usually identified by belts of various colors, depending on the school, so these ranks are sometimes called "color belts". And the senior section is typically made up of nine ranks. These ranks are usually called black belts. To advance from one rank to the next, students typically complete promotion tests in which they demonstrate their proficiency in the various aspects of the art before a panel of judges or their teacher. And I am just a junior student hah.
J: wow. That’s really rigorous.
J: So what place or sites would you recommend to tourists?
W: I think the whole Busan is totally a beautiful resort. I definitely recommend you to go to Yongdusan Park.
J: What is it?
W: It is a park supports approximately seventy different species of trees and is a favorite tourist destination, with various cultural events throughout the year. Every year, when I go back to Korea, I stay there to enjoy the sunshine, beach and nice food. You definitely need to go.
J: Got it. So what festivals do you celebrate in your country? And how do people celebrate it?
W: We have four important traditional festivals. Seollal, Dauboreum, Dano, and Chuseok. Especially, Seollal is the most important of the traditional Korean holidays on the first day of lunar calendar. It celebrates Korean New Year. During the holiday, we visit our parents or other relatives. Dress up in colorful hanbok. It is really interesting and memorable.
J: And what is the weather like in your hometown?
W: Hmm. Winters are usually cold and comparatively dry with high winds, but much milder than Saint Cloud. And summers are generally hot humid and rainy, even sometimes the city may experience typhoons. Other time is generally comfortable, and maybe springs sometimes are cold.
J: What is a type of sport in your country?
W: Football! It has traditionally been regarded as the most popular spectator sport in Korea.
J: Awesome. However our football team is really bad. Sigh. And what is a traditional food in your country?
W: Kimchi, kind of pickled vegetable.
J: What do most women do after they get married in your country? (House wife, working?)
W: Umm. In the past, most of them maybe need to stay at home and do housework. But nowadays, more and more women get to find jobs. Men and women almost have the same rights. I guess so.
J: Alright. The last question just for fun if you have a chance to go back to 2001, what do you want to say to yourself?
W: You mean 10 years ago? Hah, I don't know. Maybe enjoy my childhood again!
J: ha-ha. Anyway, thank you so much for coming to help me. Have a nice day!
W: You too. Bye.

1 comment:

  1. Please provide access rights to people who want to see the interview document linked

    ReplyDelete